Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Lent

I have never in my life given up something for Lent. This is mostly because I'm not even remotely religious, plus I'm pretty sure it's one of those Jewish holidays I'm not allowed to celebrate Something about Jesus being lost in a desert, tempted by a potato pancake for 40 days and 40 nights and then starring in a terrible movie about his experience with Josh Hartnett. I may be wrong about that, but I don't think so.

However, this year I was talking with my friend Paul, and he said for Lent he was giving up swearing, for the fourth year in a row. Needless to say, he is not doing a terribly good job at it. He swears constantly (I may goad him a tiny bit) and punishes himself by hitting himself REALLY hard in the leg. I suggested he give me money every time he swore, but he didn't think it was a good idea. I personally thought it was a great idea. I'm also pretty low on money.

So this year, I decided to give up something for lent. I ended up starting with coke, and making it soda in general. For those of you that know my physical dependence on the stuff, you realize what an epic decision this is, to not have soda for 40 days (more actually, given that apparently Sundays don't count? Bullshit, I say). This may not be terribly exciting to any of you, but I couldn't tell you the last time I went a week without a soda of some sort, it's easily been years, so this is quite the undertaking for me. I'm on day 13 or something ridiculous right now, and I hate every second of my life. As if the kids I teach weren't horrible to begin with, now I have to deal with them while going through withdrawal (actually happening, by the way). Man life is fun.

Anyway, this is uninteresting to anyone but me, but I have a blog. That's what people do on their blogs. I'm blogging! So, if you people care what I'm doing with myself in my spare time, now you know. Torture. Thanks Jesus! Way to ruin things YET AGAIN

No comments:

Post a Comment